Make-up artist Elias Hove uses the skin as a blank canvas to demonstrate make-up trends for this season from brands such as MAC, Tom Ford Beauty and Smashbox.
I’m heading to the west coast in a couple days and have packed enough outfits to give Lady Gaga a run for her money. I thought I would share my essentials for a trip from New York City to Los Angeles so here goes…
1. Sun Bum Sunscreen and Skincare Products: I only recently learned about this company from a friend who sells it in her boutique. She is always traveling to Miami and has a delicious golden tan. Her secret? This stuff right here. It’s created by SoCal surfers who live in the sun, it’s paraben and PABA free, not tested on animals, and smells like your favorite summer memory. Since I am fair, I stay away from spray sun screens and go for the lotion. At around $15 for an 8 oz bottle, I was able to splurge and get the Cool Down After Sun Lotion and the Cool Down Aloe Vera Spray. Look out Venice Beach, here comes the Lizard Queen (only Doors fans will get that reference.
2. Earth Science Herbal Tonic Mist - this bottle contains one of the lightest, refreshing, lovely smelling tonics I’ve ever used. Since the flight will dry out my skin, as well as the sun, I use this to hydrate my skin throughout the day. You can find this product in any Whole Foods.
3. Bliss Triple Oxygen Instant Energizing Mask - a quick fix for dull, tired skin. Did I mention how flying dries out your skin? Let me mention it again. While I don’t fully endorse this product (I purchased before looking up the toxicity leave on the EPA’s site), I do endorse finding a simliar product that’s not as toxic. I’m just using this until it runs out.
4. Yes To Blueberries Cleaning Facial Towelettes - confession: I haven’t used these yet. I’ve been reading all of your posts about this product so I purchased it (I was also hungry at the time and it sounded delicious). I haven’t opened so I have something to look forward to when I land in LA.
5. Aveda Travel-Size Damage Remedy and Light Elements - skin isn’t the only thing that gets dried out on a flight and in the sun. This product packs nutrition for your hair and is especially life-saving for us natural blondes (wink wink cough wink).
6. Downy Wrinkle Releaser - this is a life-saver if you’ve packing clothing that easily wrinkles. Just a few sprays of this puppy, hang the garment and it will look like new. Tip: it’s save on most fabrics.
7. Vaseline Lip Therapy - I slather this on my lips and on my eyes at night after a long trip. Pretty self-explanatory.
8. Eye Mask - last but not least, a silk eye mask so I can get some rest on the flight, and because my LA bedroom faces the east.
Some of the fiercest nail trends at New York Fashion Week:
Insane gems at Libertine, studs at Kate Spade and squiggles at Creatures of the Wild have been my faves so far.
Nail Trends for 2013 include Ciate’s Very Colourfoil Manicure (pictured above), a leather manicure (!?) by Nails Inc, and OPI’s Liquid Sand that leaves your nails covered with a rough glitter texture (sounds like a polish-removing nightmare).
I can’t even think about nails right now in the cold NYC weather! Just gimme a pair of gloves until the blood returns to my fingertips.
Holiday Gift Ideas For: The Glamour Puss
This gift guide was inspired by my friend who’s a talent booker by day and a beauty maven by night. Here are some suggestions for the gal who loves channeling her inner Kevin Aucoin:
1. OPI’s Tinsel Town Collector’s Set, $49.95
This 16 piece set offers OPI’s best sellers and your nails will be so grateful that they could kiss you (and they will).
I love cosmetic bags because they are easy to collect and store, plus they’re usually more fun than their larger counterparts. This one is a steal for only ten dollars!
While buying the real thing, such as a piece by Wayne Thiebaud above, may be out of your price range, you can always buy the post card version. Stick in a cute frame to make a wonderful vanity table decoration.
These adorable cookies are 100% edible using rice paper for the labels and look almost too sweet to eat. Even Coco Chanel wouldn’t say “aucun” to this gift.
5. Mermaid Tears Fake Eyelashes, $13.99
Fun, fun, fun! A great gift for a glamour puss that would never indulge in something too fancy for herself and perfect for a holiday party. With rhinestones, more is more.
I’m heading to LA for Halloween this year and will be attending a music industry party dressed as a Sugar Skull too (with a fellow former MTVer).
Right: a more traditional make-up application but I love the white contacts going the extra mile with this look.
Left: a contemporary take on the Sugar Skull. Digging the beezelbub on the forehead with the red rhinestone eyes!